Saturday 22 March 2008

Mixed Media Monday


I'm guest host for Mixed Media Monday and naturally I chose brights for the theme. I've been sick since committing to do it, and I have had no inspiration, everything I made turned out pretty horrific so I chose to use a page from my journal instead. My journal is a cross between things I write, whether they be poems, or tidbits, combined with experimenting with paint, mixed media, doodling and drawing. That way I get to keep some of the things I write (I usually just throw them out once I've filled an exercise book).

This one was painted bright pink with violet paint used for shadows and the hand is bright yellow and orange. The background was done using texture paste which was heated (from memory) until it bubbled and then flattened so it's textural without being able to be chipped and so it doesn't damage the page next to it. I'm not sure if the heart in the hand is a stamp or if I free hand drew it, which I think I might have.

Anyhow, it says, to save you from going cross-eyed trying to read it!

My heart it dances-sings-plays-
It wishes for things which it
Cannot have.
My heart it has the ability
To break but this does not
Mean that it is fragile
It means that my heart
Does not lend itself
To thoughtlessness.

Then on the inside it says Fragile Luggage?

10 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

Gorgeous page! Love the texture on it and the words are so touching!

Susie Campbell (Sue Smith) said...

Oh, this is gorgeous and a wonderful theme for mixed media! It's great to see your prose along side your art work.

Sandy said...

Wow nikki this is so wonderful. Love this colors. Gorgeous design.

Anonymous said...

Nikki, I love your journal page, the saying is wonderul and the hand gorgeous. Thanks for the theme :-)

Rosie said...

I think your hand is awesome. I think often we forget how beautiful and uplifting the use of bold colour can be. I love the journalling too and thanks for sharing the creative process.

~*~Patty S said...

Your page is just wonderful Nikki and perfect inspiration for such a fun MMM challenge! I love that you wrote out the poem for us = it's perfectly lovely and so thoughtful! Did you really stamp all those words = WOWEE! AND, oh my how can you throw away your artwork, maybe just tuck it away in a drawer somewhere, years from you it would be a wonderful thing to revisit, that's my two cents, no charge :) Hope you're feeling much better real soon.

Gillian .... said...

Love this piece Niki,what a great bog you have:)

Debbi Baker said...

just adore this page and I love the thoughts you have included. It is just gorgeous and so lovely and bright!!

Anonymous said...

I really like your page - my journal is full of bright colors too! :-)

Nicks said...

beautiful... bright colour scares me... i must try and move out of my comfort zone!